Today marks the first official giveaway on the blog! I’m so excited to share with you all not only this amazingly delicious spiced banana rum cookie recipe but also your chance to win a copy of Bunner’s Bakery new cookbook! The contest begins Friday at 12 PM and closes on Sunday at 5 PM, only Canadian residents can apply. You can enter by following @raachhel on Twitter, liking the Spoonful of Honey on Facebook, or pinning the photo below on Pinterest! If you enjoy the recipes I post on the blog, I promise you’ll love every wonderful recipe in the Bunner cookbook! There are so many tasty treats, you won’t believe they’re all gluten-free and vegan! Check out the contest link here: a Rafflecopter giveaway
Everyone who had the opportunity to try one of these cookies was blown away. The flavour combination of Sailor Jerry’s rum and texture is top notch. They’re sure to satisfy your sweet tooth on so many levels.
- 1¾ cups Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon xanthan gum
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup mashed ripe banana (1 to 2 freckled bananas)
- ¼ cup canola oil
- ¾ cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon organic blackstrap molasses
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- Frosting (Optional)
- 2 tablespoons Earth Balance Buttery Sticks, at room temperature
- 2 cups organic powdered sugar, plus extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons soy or coconut milk beverage, plus extra as needed
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- Coloured sugar, shredded toasted coconut, or freshly grated nutmeg, for decoration
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and baking soda. Whisk to combine.
- In a small bowl, thoroughly whisk the banana with the oil. Whisk in the sugar, rum, molasses, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix well using a spatula.
- With clean hands, roll lumps of cookie dough into golf-ball-size pieces. Do not flatten. Place each ball on the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden brown and puffy. Cool for 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
- For the frosting (if using): Cream the butter using a hand mixer or fork. Slowly add the sugar until the mixture is quite stiff. Add the milk and rum, mixing quickly. Add more sugar or milk as needed for a somewhat firm consistency. Drizzle the frosting on the cookies and decorate using coloured sugar, coconut, or nutmeg. Let frosting set before serving.
Recipe from Bunner’s: Simple & Delicious Gluten-Free Vegan Treats by Ashley Witting & Kevin MacAllister ©2014. Photography by Kevin MacAllister. Published by HarperCollins Publishers Ltd. All rights reserved.