FONDEST MEMORY OF YOUR MOTHER IN THE KITCHEN:
She loved baking sweets on a daily basis. She made the best Buttertarts.
I WISH I KNEW HOW TO:
Make homemade pasta.
MOST MEMORABLE MEAL:
I was at Via Allegro Ristorante in Mississauga having the lamb ribs with risotto made with amarone wine topped with gorgonzola cheese and paired with a glass of Veuve.
FAVORITE WAY TO DECOMPRESS:
Lying at the raft at camp on Manitoulin island.
I’m so excited to share with you all some of my mom’s tasty recipes. I can’t even express how lucky I am to be living at home with a great cook like her. She inspires me in the kitchen, at work and most of all in who I want to be.
My mom’s veggie burgers were first created when I “the vegetarian” of the family moved back home and she was looking for a way to incorporate some sort of protein into my diet. The concoction ended up being delicious and the whole Steiman family fell in love with them especially the Kasha/ Buckwheat version. The fresh herb dip is a perfect accompaniment and can be used as a tasty veggie dip. Make sure to make the dip ahead of time up overnight is even better to let the flavors infuse.
- 1 cup kasha/ buckwheat or bulgur or quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable stock powder
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- ¾ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 4 eggs
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon rosemary
- ½ teaspoon caraway seeds (optional)
- 2 teaspoons of dill
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- ¾ brown or white mushroom (diced)
- 1 large green onion (finely sliced)
- ¼ cup cooking oil
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a pot.
- Bring to a boil, cover simmer for 15 mins until all water is absorbed.
- Remove from heat cool to room temperature and fluff with a fork.
- Place in large bowl, combine with the remaining ingredients.
- Stir until mixed.
- Dampen hands, and form the mixture into patties. Fry in heated oil in frying pan. Flip once drain on paper towels.
- Makes approximately 16 small patties and can be eaten at room temperature.
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup cucumber (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon of dill
- 2 tablespoon of basil (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon of chives (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of green onion (chopped)
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Put into refrigerator for 2-3 hours.